Many people with a sweet tooth like mine love candy, and I have to admit that I eat a little too much chocolate, hard candy, and jelly candy. But then. I get disappointed when I run out of these goodies. So, I searched the search engines for how to make jelly candy as well as other types of candy, and I was astonished at how easy it is to make jelly candy. And not only that, but I was also astonished that it only takes ingredients that we mostly already have in our cabinets. Thus said, the following information in this article gives some variations on how to make jelly candy.
How to Make Jelly Candy
The general ingredients to make this candy are as follows;
- 1/4 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup of fruit juice of your choosing and strain, if necessary
- 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup
- Food coloring, optional
- Confectioner or superfine sugar, optional
Alternatively, you can use the following ingredients to use to make jelly candy:
- A few ounces of gelatin (flavored or unflavored)
- 2 ounces gelatin (an additional ounce if making pineapple jellies)
- 2 cups of water
- 4 1/3 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of citric acid
- 1 cup of superfine or confectioners' sugar
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Flavoring, as you desire
Tips to Use Before Making Jelly Candy
If you rather use fresh fruit juice instead of store-bought juice, you can do that by pressing or squeezing the fresh fruit. For berries or citrus fruit, you can press them through a strainer and allow a measuring cup to catch the seed. Then, you must basically use the freshly squeezed fruit juice in the place of the store-bought juice in the directions on how to make jelly candy.
If you are going to slice jelly candy, you must clean the cookie cutter or the knife that you'll use every so often when slicing. Also, spraying the cooking cutter or knife before slicing prevents sticking.
Also, if you have a strong sweet tooth like me, it can be quite tempting to indulge in eating your jelly candy immediately after making it. Waiting a few minutes or even 30 minutes or an hour before eating it, as you would do for cookies or cakes, is still not enough time. In fact, it is best to wait at least a day to allow the jelly candy to harden.
Instruction on How to Make Jelly Candy
Now that you have gotten the ingredients and tips, it is now time to make these delicious treats. The first thing to do is to spray vegetable oil spray on a 6-inch or 8-inch pan. Otherwise, use water to lightly wet the pans. The next thing you should do is to put the gelatin and water in a bowl and let it sit for around five minutes to soften the gelatin.
Then, Do Either Set of Step
Then, you must do the following: add citric acid and sugar and slowly heat it over low heat, and constantly stir with a wooden spoon. Do this for around 10 minutes when the sugar dissolves. Also, use a wet pastry brush to remove any sugar crystals on the sides of the pan. Then, do the following:
- If desired, add food coloring.
- Pour into the prepared pan and let it sit overnight at room temperature or around four hours in the refrigerator.
- Afterward, turn the pan over and cut it into desired shapes with a cookie cutter or sharp knife.
- You can serve it plain or roll the jelly candy in confectioners or superfine sugar.
Alternatively, Do This
Alternatively, you can put corn syrup, sugar, and juice in a pan. Then, heat over medium heat and consistently stir until the sugar dissolves. Then, stir in the gelatin and continue to stir until the gelatin dissolves.
- Then, turn the heat up to high to bring the gelatin to a boil, and then lower the heat down to medium-low.
- And from there, let it boil again with no stirring for 15 minutes. If the syrup begins turning a dark tan color within 15 minutes, then the mixture is ready.
- Remove it from the heat.
- While the bubbles dissipate, just let the mixture stand for five minutes. There will be some white foam left.
- Whisk in the flavoring.
- Then, pour it evenly into the prepared pan without scraping the pot.
- Let it stand for 24 hours uncovered.
- Unmold and cut the jelly candy into your desired shapes or into one-inch squares.
- You can roll it in confectioners' or superfine sugar or keep it plain.
People worldwide with a sweet tooth love candy. It is easy to make jelly candy, and most, if not all, ingredients to make this candy are already in our cabinet. The only hard thing may be resisting eating the jelly candy before the 24-hour overnight period or 4-hour period in the refrigerator.